Sleep Apnea Treatment in Fort Valley
Has anyone ever told you that it seems like you stop breathing for short periods while you sleep? If this occurs, then you may be suffering from sleep apnea. Sleep apnea involves the airways, which can sometimes become blocked and cause disruptions in your breathing while you sleep.
Types of Sleep Apnea
The two main kinds of sleep apnea are obstructive sleep apnea and central sleep apnea. When it is obstructive, the throat may collapse during sleep and block airflow. When it is central, the brain may not signal the body to breathe and cause apnea.
Risk Factors for Sleep Apnea
Sleep apnea can affect any patient, but there are those with an increased risk of it. Some of these risk factors include:
- Being over the age of 40
- Being overweight
- Having a large tongue or tonsils
- A small jaw
- History in the family of sleep apnea
- A deviated septum, sinus problems, or allergies
If you think you may have sleep apnea, it is important to speak with a professional and understand your treatment options and how you can return to a normal life.
Treatment Options for Sleep Apnea
You can treat sleep apnea in various ways, ranging from simple to more complex and invasive.
- Adjust the way you sleep: This could be something as simple as avoiding sleeping on your back.
- A CPAP machine: This machine improves breathing during sleep, keeping airways open and clear.
- Oral appliances: These devices can shift the jaw, preventing the closure of the airways and eliminating sleep apnea.
- Surgery: Surgery may be required when other options fail to produce results; the type of surgery can range depending on the cause of sleep apnea.
Visit our Whitaker Family Dentistry team in Fort Valley to speak with a dental professional about how we can help relieve sleep apnea symptoms. Our Whitaker Family Dentistry dentist may be able to provide you with recommendations as well as dental appliances to treat sleep apnea. To get more detailed information about how our Fort Valley dental clinic can assist you, schedule an appointment today.