Why is Preventive Dentistry Important?
Of the many specialties of dentistry that exist, preventive dentistry ranks as the fundamental foundation of proper oral health. Half the work that dentists do would not be necessary if preventive dentistry was embraced with high regard, as it should.
Many of the oral problems you present to your dentist are a progression of neglected oral health. With preventive dentistry, you can always be a step ahead of your oral health.
What Is Preventive Dentistry?
It is a specialty in dentistry that helps patients remain proactive in managing their oral health. This specialty in dentistry empowers patients to take care of their teeth, so they do not have to nurse pains and treat infections later.
Preventive dentistry is a big concept in pediatric dental health, where pediatric dentists try to reinforce these values to children from an early age. However, adults too require the services of preventive dentistry to help them sustain healthy mouths in their life.
What Does Preventive Dentistry Involve?
This specialty embraces different techniques to protect the mouth from possible damage and infection. The different treatments and procedures offer protection to teeth as much as the gums. Some of the common ones include:
- Deep cleanings – they are teeth cleaning sessions professionally done by dental experts. They help remove plaque and tartar from your teeth while ensuring your mouth is hygienic at all times.
- Fluoride treatment – it is a treatment that helps boost the strength of your teeth. It features adding fluoride to your teeth, which coats them to strengthen the teeth
- Tooth fillings – this is a popular procedure that involves filling the chewing surfaces of teeth to protect them from the severe effects of dental cavities or dental decay. Many people only know of dental fillings, which are used to fill teeth that already have cavities, as a way to stop the infection from causing dental decay. However, dental sealants are also used as tooth fillers. They, however, work to protect teeth from dental cavities. Usually, they are applied to the chewing surfaces of back teeth, when teeth are still healthy.
- Nutritional counseling – your dentist understands the importance of diet in your oral health as well as overall health. Nutritional counseling endeavors to train you on how to better choose your meals for the sake of your teeth and gums.
Benefits of Preventive Dentistry
To properly understand and appreciate preventive dentistry as important in life you must first underline the benefits thereof. Some of the advantages of preventive dentistry include:
- Fighting tooth decay and dental cavities – many patients, young and small, lose their teeth to dental decay many times. Unfortunately, this is not an unavoidable problem. With proper measures, you may never have a cavity in your life.
- Fighting gum disease – while protecting your mouth from dental cavities and tooth decay, preventive dentistry also protects you from gum disease. This is a disease mostly associated with the buildup of bacteria in your mouth, from plaque and tartar on your teeth. Deep cleans remove the plaque and help fight gum disease.
- Preventing enamel thinning – as you age, your enamel wears off gradually. The best way to slow down this thinning is by ensuring there is a layer of protection over your teeth. A fluoride treatment will strengthen the enamel of your teeth, also making them more resistant to corrosion.
- Early problem detection – an early diagnosis for an oral problem prevents progression and increases the chances of speedy healing. Without incurring any severe symptoms, you can bank on preventive dentistry to help detect and treat your oral issues early enough.
- Boosting oral hygiene – your personal Orla hygiene at home could use a boost every couple of months. With deep dental cleans, you have an easier time managing your oral health in between the dental sessions.
- Brighter and whiter teeth – one of the main components of tooth discoloration is plaque and tartar. If you are not intentional about brushing your teeth and flossing, your teeth will be dull with time. Deep cleans help you gather momentum on the cleaning process, while teeth whitening can give you the brightness you desire.